Different Types of Essays: Hints, Tips, Topics, & Samples
Table of Contents
There are many various types of essays that learner must perform during training. All of them have some role, functions, and a certain goal. The main feature is the expression of the student’s personal relation to the topic and the problem as a whole. This type of work is an important way of learning and controlling knowledge and has great educational potential.
Different types of essays involve the organization of independent work and reveal the breadth and depth of the educational material. The undergraduate has the opportunity to understand and try to present the material in a non-standard original creative form. Each kind teaches a clearer and competent formulation of thoughts, helps to arrange them in a strict logical sequence, studies to think associatively.
When working with any type of essay:
- You did not just work out the material, but deeply understood it, identifying the main and the minor.
- You have generalized the basic points of several sources, as a result of which the thoughts set out in several works, in your text sound more voluminous, fuller, and more convincing.
- You make the presentation of the material accessible, original, and stylistically colored.
- You have a wide selection of illustrative material: you get the most striking examples from several sources that best reveal the subject, indicating your awareness, preparation, world outlook.
- By comparing the views of various authors, you can express your own opinion.
What Are the Types of Argumentative Essays?
Among a large number of different types of essays and examples, argumentative fixes a reasonable opinion on the subject. It also requires position justification based on information obtained from personal experience and/or reading. When creating an argumentative composition, such aspects of the text as the expression of the author’s position, as well as setting the overall positive mood of the text, become mandatory.
There are four types of argument essays like research, persuasive, personal and analysis.
You must convince a reader that your argument is better than the other. The clarity of the presentation of your main idea or argument at the beginning of the text is a very momentous component. You have to refute all the views and persuade target readers that your point of view is the best.
Your own considerations are important. Here you can refer to any research. They are needed to further convince a reader of the correctness of your personal thoughts and arguments. Subjective considerations are the basis for a convincing conclusion.
Many sources and evidence here are momentous for the main argument. A learner must find many sources for each point of view to convince everyone of his own rightness. It requires gradual and systematic training. You should pay particular attention to work with information sources.
Learners must do an analysis of the evidence and thoughts of another author. They must be persuasive, adhering to the style and clarity of writing. The selection of evidence plays a significant role. It contributes to the development of analytical and creative abilities.
Each of the 4 types of essays leads to different expressions of opinion and guidance to certain information.
What Are 9 Other Types of Essays?
Scientists and writers identify many types of essays. Everyone has his own characteristics and the author’s ability to correctly disclose the theme according to the type. In addition to the argument composition, which has the most understandable features and characteristics there are also other types:
- Descriptive. The author must describe the object, place or person in order to form a living image in the reader.
- Definition. Defines the topic of both concretely and abstractly.
- Compare & contrast. Commit differences and/or similarities between people, places, things, ideas, etc.
- Cause & effect. Focuses on conditions or situation and tries to respond to the next questions: why? (reason), or what is the result? (effect)
- Narrative. This is a summary of the events in chronological order. This may be a brief biography and a story about some important event.
- Process. Explains a certain process in order. Must contain a description of a particular action.
- Critical. The author analyzes and evaluates the text. All ideas are supported by evidence.
- Expository. Indicates the direction or instructs how to complete the task, or how an action should be performed.
- Persuasive. Your goal is to prove a statement. You select and give examples that really prove your words.
These 9 types of argumentative essays are important and have different goals. They help the student to learn to express their own point of view on any issue. It is important for the author to establish a trusting style of communication with the reader. He avoids deliberately complicated, obscure, unnecessarily rigorous constructs for clarity.
Researchers note that just professionals can perform a good work that is fluent in the topic, sees it from different sides and is ready to present the reader not an exhaustive, but multidimensional look at the phenomenon, which became the starting point of his reflection.
20 Universal Essay Writing Hints
- Carefully and attentively read the task and subject.
- You need to use reference books and revise already written.
- Students must not forget what teachers actually want from them. The main thing is to disclose the topic.
- Formulate the subject of an outline as a question that you’ll answer. You must be sincere in your writing.
- We must begin to write the composition from the end. Then we define exactly what we need as a result.
- Find out the interesting words in the dictionary of synonyms.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically, i.e. argumentatively (with the help of arguments and facts).
- The student must prove his own point of view, the ability to offer his own solution to a specific socially significant problem.
- The text should have a clear structure with its main elements: introduction, main part, and conclusion.
- Parts of the outline must meet certain requirements for the content and structure of each individual paragraph.
- When you create a text, you need clarity, depth, accuracy, consistency of presentation, the use of means of logical communication and careful selection of language means.
- Study well different types of hooks for essays.
- After writing a paragraph, reread the phrase once more.
- Use a draft and leave blank lines between sentences, and wide fields. You can then make corrections, additions to the process of editing the original text.
- Highlight paragraphs; observe the red line; use short, simple, varied intonation sentences.
- Use the correct sentence-writing scheme to express your own thoughts.
- Own a set of definitions for each topic. Confident mastering of social science terms and concepts is the primary condition for success.
- You can divide your draft into two columns. In the first one – write down the topic and in the second – write down the words, phrases, arising associations, quotes.
- Do not hesitate for a long time choosing a topic. You should like it.
- Make a plan. It will help to structure your thoughts in the right order.
5 Types of Hooks for Essays
The text of your labor is intended to be read, so higher demands will be made on it than on any oral statement. If you want to interest anyone with your text then you need to know types of hooks for essays.
- Declaration hook. You can accent on your text, make it strong and curious.
- Question hook. The learner can ask an interesting question. If the reader wants to know the answer he must find out it from the text.
- Fact hook. A student may give the necessary facts and evidence and to attract everyone who needs this.
- Description hook. If you write some description you can interest the reader because he wants to find out what will happen the next.
- Quotation hook. This hook is momentous because any phrases of a famous person can attract and interest the listener.
Need More Practical Help with Essay Types?
The text of the essay is strictly tied to the concept of “volume”, i.e. the specific number of sentences used in each paragraph. The learner must know what are the different types of essays. Each kind may be aimed at different concepts. The composition can focus on the personality, his ability to think critically, analytical skills based on the task. It requires the ability to logically, coherently and grammatically correct his thoughts in writing.
If you need more practical help with essay types and its execution then the specialists in our service can help you. We guarantee excellent assignment performed on all requirements according to the obligatory type. The writers have higher education and fulfill your essay orders in a timely and qualitative way.
We are testing everything through anti-plagiarism and grammar programs. All of our staff labor for the client and provides it with the respective tasks. In any case, you can turn to professionals. They can help you write various types of essays in college and use quotations, examples, necessary arguments and evidence on the topic in the right way.