What Is Research Methodology in Psychology
Table of Contents
What Is Research Methodology in Psychology – Explained Briefly
Psychology research is just another type of research you need to do, following the universal methodological principles other academic disciplines have. If you are a Psychology student, coming to grips with the fundamentals of psychology research is critical for success. Various methodological approaches will underlie your academic assignments, urging you to link theories and practice, find conceptualizations of practical concepts, and relate theories to practice.
In all these cases, proper knowledge of research methodology will be of immense help. To support you in studies, our writers qualified in psychology research have prepared a handy guide to methods used in psychology assignments:
- Most generally, psychology research uses two methodological directions: qualitative and quantitative. Qualitative studies use narrative data, such as texts, case studies, interviews, etc., to capture people’s subjective psychological experiences and information. Quantitative research deals with statistics and figures, working with objective data, and visualizing trends and patterns from larger datasets.
- A popular psychology research method is a case study. You can choose various units – people, organizations, phenomena – as cases. For example, Sigmund Freud is a famous case study researcher who used patients’ stories as valuable research material to advance his psychoanalytical theory.
- Experiments are also commonplace in psychology research. You can conduct an experiment and report your findings, but keep in mind that such research requires advanced methodological skills, a laboratory setting, reliable instrumentation, and command of statistical analysis tools.
- Observations are an accessible research method for psychology students. All you need is a hypothesis, a guiding theory, and a subject you’re observing. But keep research ethics in mind; always ask for permission if you’re observing a human subject.
- Surveys are risk-free and manageable tools for completing an excellent psychology study. Develop a survey, contact your target population, and arrive at results using descriptive stats.
- Content analysis is also valuable in psychology research. You can use social media to test some psychological theory or collect interviews from people, code them, and analyze the core categories and themes emerging in analysis.
Use this cheat sheet as a guide to choosing the proper methodological approach in your next assignment. If you’re confused about methodologies and need expert help, contact our managers to determine what services on psychology writing we have.
Color Psychology Research
People are deeply affected by surrounding colors, which is a separate psychology research field today. Color psychology delves deep into how color palettes influence human perceptions, energy, mood, and actions.
Besides, color research takes an active interest in socio-demographic determinants of color influences. For instance, bright colors affect men and women differently. People of different ages also react to colors differently. Your task as a color researcher is to uncover some patterns and find a theoretical underpinning for those observations.
Happiness Psychology Research
We like to be happy as this state gives us joy, pleasure, energy to address new aims, and a sense of achievement. However, happiness is at the same time a very vague concept escaping definition. Besides, there is no bulletproof strategy for attaining happiness; otherwise, people wouldn’t spend their lives searching for it.
Positive psychology is the branch of psychology explicitly related to happiness. If you’re a positive psychology student or take an active interest in this subject, you can conduct various studies to advance the body of knowledge in this area.
First, you can delve into causes of happiness by surveying people around you and trying to find some patterns or universal tips. Second, you can evaluate existing evidence on happiness research and identify gaps requiring further research attention. You can also conduct international studies by asking people on social media to complete a happiness survey.
Research on Dreams (Psychology Students’ Favorite)
Dreams are a whole new world for psychology students. Some people have no dreams (or remember none); others see bright, exciting dreams about exotic places and phantasy creatures. At times, people suffer from awful nightmares as a consequence of traumatic events or catastrophes. In all these cases, dreams form a vital part of our lives and require separate research attention.
If you have unique relationships with dreams or are perplexed about their nature, dream research may be your cup of tea in psychology. Delve deeper into this aspect of human cognition to uncover hidden neurological processes governing people’s night adventures. Psychoanalysis also offers exciting insights into dream formation mechanisms.
Social Media Psychology Research
The modern obsession with social media is another exciting field of psychology research giving you many helpful directions. For example, what psychological effects does over-consumption of social media content have on people? How do social media cause depression and anxiety in teens? What psychological effect does photo editing on social media have?
As many social media are anonymous today, you can also research the psychological effects of bullying on social networks, the impact of radical political and religious views on users, and the vices of social comparison for teens’ self-image and self-perception.
Advertisers and marketers now use social media as primary promotion tools to reach significant numbers of consumers. Thus, digging deeper into how you perceive ads on social media can help you develop an interesting research idea. Survey your classmates to understand their buying behavior and think of when you bought something online; use that data to guide your research.
Looking for More?
Are you interested in submitting an exceptional paper to your supervisor? We can make this dream come true with hundreds of available psychology writers ready to handle your assignments. Our experts are online 24/7, coming from different English-speaking countries and time zones. Thus, you can always expect to get your psychology assignment on time, ideally written in line with all academic writing conventions.
Don’t risk your grades if you experience problems with psychology topics and assignments. Don’t delay the assignment’s completion until the last day, as you risk never having time to complete it well. Instead, contact our managers to learn all details of receiving competent, timely academic help, and your psychology grades will always be high.